Baby bluejays

Lisa writes: While the robins moved in on our porch, a pair of bluejays moved into the neighbor's carport. Here they are a day or two before they left the nest. I was actually out in the yard mowing the lawn when the first one decided to jump for it. Not good fliers, these babies. Their first flight was more like a frantic, wing-flapping fall. They managed to get themselves out to the backyard after maybe 30 minutes of effort. I read that at this point, the father takes over almost complete responsibility for the brood. He will herd them to safe spots, flying back and forth between the babies constantly for about two weeks until they are big enough to fend for themselves. It's sort of like how your mom mostly takes care of you when you're little, but when you leave for college and need money, you call dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein