Who would imagine Tom as a black belt?
Tom writes: I am posting this in April 2008, but the test was actually July 29, 2007. In 1996 I came back from about a year and half of volunteer work in Latin America thinking that I might want to return for even longer. One challenge that I saw facing me was how to get adequate exercise. I had hurt my knees in high school and couldn't jog, bicycling required a place where it was safe enough to ride (not always available), and swimming required access to a pool (not something to count on). My brother had had taken a course in tai chi in college and spoken highly of it, and the idea had stuck with me. I looked around for a school and ended up at the US Wushu Academy. A decade later, I still find that there is always something new to learn.
Earning a black belt is kind of like earning a college degree. It means that you have mastered the basics, at least to a relatively high level. However, in no way does it imply that you are a master. Perhaps it means that now you are better able to teach yourself than you have been in the past. But there is always more to learn. And it is often surprising what you learn. Frequently, the lessons I learn in tai chi apply to other situations in the "outside world."
Many of my recollections of the day of the test have grown dimmer over time, but several things stand out. The test came before my wedding and I was still anxious about many things related to getting married. For me, this meant that I was often abnormally tired and weak. I did not have the strength to practice as much as I wanted to and worried that my legs would not be strong enough to support me well. As the test began, I was pleased discover that they were actually much stronger than I anticipated, though I was still weak and nervous. During the second section of the bare hands form, I notice Peter doing a breathing/centering exercise while waiting to join me for the push hands section of the test. From that moment, I felt much calmer, like I was riding the calm of his spirit. He politely denies this, but I think that much of the ease of the second and third sections of the form came from his presence. I found it surprising that I moved so quickly through the forms. Normally I am the class slowpoke, and I thought I executed everything deliberately. Apparently not.
Looking at the videos eight months later, I see that there were many things I did well, but there is also room for improvement. I believe some of the weaknesses came from performance anxiety, but also I think that my understanding of the art has grown in the past months. One observation, there is good softness, but not as much power as there could be. Maybe that will come next.
Bare hands form, Yang style tai chi
Yang style sword form
Yang style push hands
Waiting for the results
Comments