"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein

Lisa writes: We had friends visit for lunch yesterday, and while we boring grown-ups talked and talked at the table, the 5 and 3 year old explored the house and found the stationary bicycle. Moments later, the 5 and 3 year old began fighting and crying over the stationary bicycle so I, in my infinite wisdom, pushed the "lock" button on the doorknob of that room and closed the door. Problem solved ... until later that night when we wanted to open the door. There is a little hole on the exterior knob which, presumably, you stick some sort of implement into to unlock the door, but we lack this implement and nothing else in the house -- and I mean NOTHING, 'cause we tried EVERYTHING -- will work. Tom loves me anyway, and we will both love whomever we find at Home Depot tonight who can point us to the right tool.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You just need one of those L-shaped hexagonal wrenches (Allen wrench) that come in graduated sizes. That's what we have used in the past to unlock those button locks.
Anonymous said…
The thin screwdrivers that are part of musical instrument repair kits (Tom will know about those) always worked for me. At least they did when I used to lock my sisters out of their rooms.....
Holly said…
I agree. The thin screwdrivers work wonders. They also have little pins made especially for the door knobs--I am down to my last one (they are like socks in most peoples homes. They just disappear to undisclosed locations.)
Anonymous said…
When my cousin, Jesse, was little, he locked himself in my sister's bathroom. I used a Q-tip to get him out. (He was 3 and was NOT going to open the door. He was giggling the whole time.) I've also used thin screw drivers and allen wrenches. Good luck!
Anonymous said…
Oh, yeah, I remember using a Q-tip once, too, with the cotton swab cut off, of course.
Lisa said…
And the winner is ... the thin screwdriver! I got a $5 set of these mini Stanley screwdrivers and stashed one on the top of every door mantle. As God is my witness, we are never getting locked out again.
Harmony said…
We always took apart a ballpoint pen and used just the inside, the part with the ink.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done