Debbie is making the world a better place, one stolen swamp cooler at a time
Lisa's sister, Debbie writes: Utah is cold. Yeah, not much going on since we got Spock, besides playing with him. We spent a month finishing the back two rooms of the house we rent and they are still not quite done. We're getting paid by the manager for supplies and some labor. I spent last weekend 3 hours north with my sis and her family, because my parents came and my nephew Christian was in a play. I went snowboarding a bit, but I had smashed my finger in the car door and the slopes were icy, so meh.
Got a new calling at church. I am the new Girls' Camp director. The 12-17 yr olds go camping for a week in the summer and I'm in charge. Mwah-ha-ha! I met them all Sunday and told them all they needed was a knife, because we were going to create our own shelters and catch and skin chipmunks for food. I think that might have freaked them out a bit :) In reality, they get nice big cabins and I'm in charge of making all the meals (really scary).
My neighborhood is kind of exciting. I took around some cookies and felt real thankful for my dull life after hearing their stories. The lady across the street's husband was jailed yesterday (she claims he's innocent), and now she's alone and not able to speak English taking care of a bunch of kids with no money. The family next door seemed fine, except that the husband does sprinkler systems, so he hasn't had a job for 3 months. They have a little girl. Door number 3 wasn't home at first, but we caught her in the driveway. She's elderly, just got a major surgery and is living here to be near her son, but is trying to pay for a second mortgage in Oregon on retirement benefits. Plus, I think she's lonely, because we mentioned board games and she asked to come play with us sometime.
Plans for this week:
-Give free babysitting and maybe some housework to Door #1
-Deliver the construction jobs I found online to Door # 2
-and plan a neighborhood game night
-oh, and meet the other neighbors
Anyway, it's late and earlybird-Kellen is muttering about nightowl-Deb's light and tippity-typing noises.
Keep in touch
-Deb
Lisa writes on March 14: Hi, Deb. Just going through emails and wondered how your plans turned out.
Debbies writes on March 15: Hey Lisa, Pretty good. I took a list of jobs I found on KSL.com to one neighbor and I've been visiting the neighbor whose husband got arrested. Kellen's surgery put game night on hold, but we got some new neighbors so I still want to do it.
On a more exciting note. A couple guys knocked on the door late last night, woke me up and asked about the big old swamp coolers in the back of the parking lot. I said that I thought that stuff belonged to the apartment complex, but they assured me my neighbor said they could have them. I said they better double check and went back to bed. I texted the manager. I went outside a half hour later and everything back there was gone, including an old dishwasher, fridge and OUR swamp coolers that were by the back door. So I called the police, got my little case number and left messages with the local metal salvage places. My manager called back and said that all that stuff amounted up to about $1000! Yeah, like I was gonna go back to sleep after finding out I lost $1000 from my workplace (I'm a Residental Assistant.) Kellen saw the neighbor's light was on, and she told us that she had told them not to touch the stuff, since it wasn't hers.
So we cruised around the neighborhood at 1 a.m., seeing if they were still salvaging or lived nearby. No luck. Then we got up early and went to a metal salvage place, and then crusied the neighborhoods again. 6 blocks away! What kind of crook parks his stolen good 6 blocks away?!? We saw the trailer, called the cops and our apartment manager and the officer figured out which apartment the guys who the trailer live in. They weren't home, but we were prayin real real hard and I'm thankin the Lord for stupid thieves. Ironically, they live right across the street from a member of our bishopric.
I'm at physical therapy with Kellen right now, and we're both feeling good. :)
Love ya,
Deb
Got a new calling at church. I am the new Girls' Camp director. The 12-17 yr olds go camping for a week in the summer and I'm in charge. Mwah-ha-ha! I met them all Sunday and told them all they needed was a knife, because we were going to create our own shelters and catch and skin chipmunks for food. I think that might have freaked them out a bit :) In reality, they get nice big cabins and I'm in charge of making all the meals (really scary).
My neighborhood is kind of exciting. I took around some cookies and felt real thankful for my dull life after hearing their stories. The lady across the street's husband was jailed yesterday (she claims he's innocent), and now she's alone and not able to speak English taking care of a bunch of kids with no money. The family next door seemed fine, except that the husband does sprinkler systems, so he hasn't had a job for 3 months. They have a little girl. Door number 3 wasn't home at first, but we caught her in the driveway. She's elderly, just got a major surgery and is living here to be near her son, but is trying to pay for a second mortgage in Oregon on retirement benefits. Plus, I think she's lonely, because we mentioned board games and she asked to come play with us sometime.
Plans for this week:
-Give free babysitting and maybe some housework to Door #1
-Deliver the construction jobs I found online to Door # 2
-and plan a neighborhood game night
-oh, and meet the other neighbors
Anyway, it's late and earlybird-Kellen is muttering about nightowl-Deb's light and tippity-typing noises.
Keep in touch
-Deb
Lisa writes on March 14: Hi, Deb. Just going through emails and wondered how your plans turned out.
Debbies writes on March 15: Hey Lisa, Pretty good. I took a list of jobs I found on KSL.com to one neighbor and I've been visiting the neighbor whose husband got arrested. Kellen's surgery put game night on hold, but we got some new neighbors so I still want to do it.
On a more exciting note. A couple guys knocked on the door late last night, woke me up and asked about the big old swamp coolers in the back of the parking lot. I said that I thought that stuff belonged to the apartment complex, but they assured me my neighbor said they could have them. I said they better double check and went back to bed. I texted the manager. I went outside a half hour later and everything back there was gone, including an old dishwasher, fridge and OUR swamp coolers that were by the back door. So I called the police, got my little case number and left messages with the local metal salvage places. My manager called back and said that all that stuff amounted up to about $1000! Yeah, like I was gonna go back to sleep after finding out I lost $1000 from my workplace (I'm a Residental Assistant.) Kellen saw the neighbor's light was on, and she told us that she had told them not to touch the stuff, since it wasn't hers.
So we cruised around the neighborhood at 1 a.m., seeing if they were still salvaging or lived nearby. No luck. Then we got up early and went to a metal salvage place, and then crusied the neighborhoods again. 6 blocks away! What kind of crook parks his stolen good 6 blocks away?!? We saw the trailer, called the cops and our apartment manager and the officer figured out which apartment the guys who the trailer live in. They weren't home, but we were prayin real real hard and I'm thankin the Lord for stupid thieves. Ironically, they live right across the street from a member of our bishopric.
I'm at physical therapy with Kellen right now, and we're both feeling good. :)
Love ya,
Deb
Comments