Everything you never asked about traditional Mayan clothing
We went to a textile show at the convention center this evening and I failed to take any pictures, but let me tell you what I learned anyway using borrowed images from the internet:
#1. Here is what everything is called:
Nowadays, women still wear the huipil and skirt (or corta) a lot. There are various degrees of fanciness. These gals are at Maximum Fancy.
Many women have huipil-like shirts that they wear all the time -- the same sort of shape and embroidery, but shirt-length. Also, I've learned that nobody thinks it's cultural appropriation for tourists to buy or wear them.
Men don't wear the traditional stuff as often. Only for special events like Janal Pixan. It's more common to wear guayaberas. There's a lot of Cuban influence in the Yacatan. If that seems odd, please refer to the profession diagram below:
#2. The clothing was made of cotton or sheep's wool and woven using something like this:
Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Comments