People who are crazier than we are

Lisa writes: Sat right behind a couple in their 60s during church one Sunday. I'd met them before, but never really talked to them much. Found out an interesting little story:

They met at college during a semester when she was taking 22 credit hours, working 20 hours a week, and acting as president of her dorm. They went on their first date on Sunday and got engaged on Tuesday. (And in his words: "I was sorry to wait so long, but I didn't get a chance to see her on Monday.") He proposed by saying, "I know you aren't in love with me yet, but when you do fall in love with me, will you marry me?" And she said yes.

Then she went on study-abroad to Europe for a year -- which was the reason she'd been taking so many credits -- and they got married when she came back.

They've been married for 41 years and have eight kids. I asked her if she was surprised by his proposing so soon. And she said, "If he hadn't asked me first, I would have asked him." Turned out they'd both had the same impression that "this is the one" during their date, but then she spent the entire night until 4 a.m. trying to talk God out of it. Her reasoning was that she was too busy for this, she had too many plans, this was going to be really inconvenient. But by the next morning she knew she was ready to get engaged.

As she was telling this story, she also leaned back over the pew and shared with us the "secret" of staying together for 41 years. She said, "I told him early on that if he ever wanted to divorce me, he had to take all the kids."

Comments

Jamie said…
I LOVE that story because it is so similar to ours! I had just been called into the RS Presidency, working an 8-5 job AND teaching two evening English classes (so much to grade) at UVSC, and just resigned myself to being the next Sister Dew. I was in a very good and very busy place in my life with no time for dating, let alone planning a wedding. Within 10 days of meeting Rich, it was all over. Within 14 months of meeting Rich we were sealed and had a daughter. All of this aftermaing fun of such courtships all my life! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein