The Kid Whisperers

Lisa writes: In the Catholic calendar, there are "50 days of Easter." This is good because it may take Tom that long to eat all the eggs we dyed (I don't like boiled eggs).

The tradition comes from the fact that there are 50 days between Easter (the day of Jesus's resurrection) and Pentecost (the day that the Holy Spirit was given to the Church). And from the fact that Nature and the Catholic calendar abhor a vacuum. There must be something going on at all times.

So, since we're still in Easter, let me tell you about the Sunday School lesson Tom and I taught last week. We substitute-taught a class of nine squirrelly 5 and 6 year olds. Blessedly, Sunday School is divided into Singing Time, Class, and Sharing Time so we only had to kid-wrangle for 45 minutes. What's the best way to keep kids quiet and in their seats for a 45-minute lesson? Let them get out of their seats and run around. Tom stashed six little Easter symbols all over the grounds around the chapel before class and then he led the kids on the most circuitous possible, half-hour route to find them all. He was great! He hopped, skipped, and walked backwards and the kids hopped along behind him like the Pied Piper. Back in class, the kids repeated back all of the symbols from memory, we told the story of Easter, ate some clementines, and headed into Sharing Time. Mission accomplished!

This week, I've been listening to Cesar Millan's book on tape (yes, the dog training guy) where he says the secret of raising good dogs is "exercise, discipline, and affection -- in that order." I think Cesar would have approved of our Sunday School lesson.

My nephew, Christian-the-Easter-Pirate.

Comments

Lisa said…
The rules of the class were that it was supposed to be a SILENT hunt. Tom silently guided them around the grounds and pointed at the items. This worked ... for a while. "Silent" is a tough concept for little kids.

The items Tom hid around the grounds were:
1. A plastic plate, fork, and spoon to represent the Last Supper.
2. A little pile of dimes to represent the 30 pieces of silver.
3. A bar of soap to represent Pilate washing his hands. (For some reason, seeing a bar of soap hidden under a bush cracked them up.)
4. A thorn bush to represent the crown of thorns.
5. A little crucifix.
6. A big rock to represent the rock rolled away from the tomb. Tom cleverly noticed a round, 6' week, cement sewer cover in the grass behind the chapel. It looked exactly like what you see depicted in a lot of Easter art -- big, round stone in front of the tomb. However, when led to the "rock" the boys immediately announced "sewer!"
Holly said…
I dont like hard-boiled eggs, either. Or lots of squirrelly little kids (but I have to live with them anyhow):)
Anonymous said…
I find that many of the same principles behind training animals can be applied to children, as children are basically little animals anyway. (This coming from someone with no children.)
Lisa said…
Holly, Easter would be better if we just hid and found candy, and then came home and had a nice omelette. Maybe quiche.
Lisa said…
Kristen, No kidding! I just finished listening to Cesar Millan's "The Dog Whisperer" on CD and now I can't stop watching [and critiquing] the way people interact with their dogs AND KIDS. Just this afternoon I watched a boy grab the front passenger seat and force his mom to sit in the back and I thought, "No! Now he thinks he's the pack leader! Calm Assertive Energy! Calm Assertive Energy!"

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein