Lisa and Lori

Lisa writes: The year I was born, "Lisa" was the 2nd most popular baby name in the U.S., right behind Jennifer (of course). For the previous 8 -- EIGHT! -- years, "Lisa" was the #1 most popular name. But then things went steadily downhill. It's currently #503.

My sister, Lori's, name suffered a similar burnout. It started at #20 and currently sits at #955.

So all you Emilys and Emmas and Isabellas out there? Enjoy your little day in the sun while you can.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kristen wasn't even in the top 10 the year I was born. I'm pretty sure my sister's name, Briean, will NEVER be in the top 10 (probably not even the Top 100). We won't even discuss my first name.
Jamie said…
Oh, I know, huh? I had planned, all my life, to have two little girls named Emma and Eliza. No joke. And then I watched sadly as those two fabulous pioneer names were sullied, to the point that ROSS & RACHEL named their bastard child one of MY names!!!!! Obviously Emma was OUT by 2001, and then my in-laws hated the alternat, Camilla. Shucks. And just so you know, my sisters are Lisa and Laura (and Jill, Sara, Amy, Abby and Dana)and I know you never hear those anymore. My only issue was being called The Bionic Woman--Jamie Summers--and was that supposed to be an insult? I dunno. But I am always in awe of the 1970's popularity of Jennifer and Michelle. Did you ever have a class at school where the Jennifers and Michelles didn't have to use their last initial? And Jennifer, just objectively, is such a WEIRD name. I mean, we're all used to it now, but seriously, how did that happen?
Lisa said…
Jamie, What inspired the post was going to dinner with a girl named Lori who told me she had a sister named Lisa. Our age, of course. My sister Christi SWEARS she has a 6th grade journal where she wrote "Someday I want to have a girl named Madison" long, long before every kindergartener in America had that name.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein