Memorial Day at Arlington National Cemetery

Tom writes:

On Memorial Day, my mom, Lisa and I looked for the longest possible way to get into Arlington National Cemetery. We found it, waiting in line for the better part of an hour to get into the park. But once inside we got to park near the columbarium where my father is interred.


The wait was certainly worth it, both to see the huge number of visitors as well as the effort that someone had gone through to decorate the sites with flags.


We took a look at the markers, trying to figure out the different symbols on them. We figured out some of them, but not all of them. Perhaps you can help...
1. Roman Catholic (my dad)

2. Episcopalian

3. Methodist

4. Mixed marriage: Catholic and Jewish

5. ???

6. ???

7. Church of Christ

8. Shinto ???

9. No apparent religious affiliation

10. Orthodox

11. Latter-Day Saints

12. Atheist

13. ???

14. ???

15. ???

16. ???

17. ???

18. ???

19. ???

20. ???

22. Protestant

23. ???

And this person was a Pearl Harbor survivor.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am relatively sure that the symbol on Merwen Thomas' marker is that of the United Methodist Church. At least that's what it looks like. The only other symbol I recognize is the Star of David, on the photo below Merwen. I consider myself "Generic Protestant" so I have no clue what these symbols mean. (We went to chapel on post, so the service could be more Lutheran leaning or a bit more Baptist, depending on the chaplain that week.)

By the way, my dad is in the columbarium, too.
Anonymous said…
Found the answer to your question:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/funeral_information/authorized_emblems.html
Tom said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom said…
A prize to Kristen - thanks! Now we need to go back and find all those other ones...

The link Kristen posted got truncated. Go to http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org, then follow the link for Funeral Information, scroll down to "at the time of need/Arranging an interrment" and select Headstones and niche covers. Towards the bottom is the link for faith emblems.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein