Some thoughts about Brazil

Tom writes: Before we left, I was kind of anxious about how it would go with Lisa in Brazil because of the language barrier. But as Lisa always tells me, what we worry most about does not usually come to pass. This was no exception. There were (at least) two saving graces. First, Edivani spoke more English than I realized and was willing to try it out. Second, both Edivani and Lisa seemed to hit it off really well. This should not come as a surprise, since she married a good friend of mine and both he and I have similar a similar outlook on life. Here is a picture of the two of them being cute after church...


Along more mundane lines, lots of people in Brazil were very entrepreneurial. At the beach for example, there was an interesting vendor. This guy would go around with this box in his hand selling fried bananas and shrimp. The catch - there was a small (and hot!) oven in the bottom of the box to keep the food warm (apparently the beach was not warm enough already...)


And now that we have some video clips ready, here is an interesting factoid: Did you know that the city of Varginha has hosted international conferences about extraterrestrials? Find out why in this 50 second video.



Another interesting factoid: Did you know that local elections in Brazil generate lots of enthusiasm? See some of it in this 60 second clip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein