Things I am proud of for no good reason
Lisa writes: It occasionally occurs to me that I am absurdly proud of some things. For instance:
* I'm proud of my beautifully organized sock drawer.
* I'm proud whenever "One Week" or "West End Girls" comes on the radio because I know all the words and can sing along.
* I'm pleased as punch with myself for being so cheap on groceries last month. I feel I deserve awards and recognition for this. I am ridiculous.
* I'm proud of how tall Tom is. He can change light fixtures without a ladder. I feel this somehow reflects well upon my person good fortune and excellent judgment.
* I'm proud that I won a sit-up contest in 3rd grade P.E. class. This is especially absurd considering I sure couldn't win it now. But I'm still dopily proud of winning it then.
* I'm proud that I know where to find good restaurants in the Denver, Phoenix, Chicago O'Hare, and Philadelphia airports.
* I'm proud of the color we painted our living room walls, even though the color it dried to was completely different that the color we chose on the paint chip sample.
* I'm proud that it never even occured to me as a teenager to try drinking or smoking or getting weird tattoos or piercings. This allows me to assume a smug air of righteous harrumphing over today's ragamuffin teens.
* I'm proud of my nearly nine-year-old car. When I tell people how old it is, they always say, "It doesn't look it!" I wish they would say that about me, but I'll accept the compliment on behalf of the car.
* I'm proud of my beautifully organized sock drawer.
* I'm proud whenever "One Week" or "West End Girls" comes on the radio because I know all the words and can sing along.
* I'm pleased as punch with myself for being so cheap on groceries last month. I feel I deserve awards and recognition for this. I am ridiculous.
* I'm proud of how tall Tom is. He can change light fixtures without a ladder. I feel this somehow reflects well upon my person good fortune and excellent judgment.
* I'm proud that I won a sit-up contest in 3rd grade P.E. class. This is especially absurd considering I sure couldn't win it now. But I'm still dopily proud of winning it then.
* I'm proud that I know where to find good restaurants in the Denver, Phoenix, Chicago O'Hare, and Philadelphia airports.
* I'm proud of the color we painted our living room walls, even though the color it dried to was completely different that the color we chose on the paint chip sample.
* I'm proud that it never even occured to me as a teenager to try drinking or smoking or getting weird tattoos or piercings. This allows me to assume a smug air of righteous harrumphing over today's ragamuffin teens.
* I'm proud of my nearly nine-year-old car. When I tell people how old it is, they always say, "It doesn't look it!" I wish they would say that about me, but I'll accept the compliment on behalf of the car.
Comments
Love you lots, Mom
PS and I was the only in my BYU gym class to climb the rope to the top of the field house ceiling (getting down - sliding - took the skin off my hands but I did - once in my life too.
*I spelled it with a "z" just to make you think of ragamuffin teens.