Things I can't stand

Lisa writes: Today I feel like pushing the envelope. Testing the limits. Pulling up my socks. (That last one is strictly for Canadians. ... Let me check the analytics on the site real quick ... Two Canadians read this blog in the past month. Score!)

I love Canadians. But that's not what I'm feeling like today. I'm feeling like being ornery. So I'm going to write about STUFF I CAN'T STAND. And because I'm testing the limits, I'm even going to write about STUFF I CAN'T STAND THAT I KNOW OTHER PEOPLE LIKE, AND SO USUALLY I'D BE POLITE AND NOT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL, BUT TODAY I DON'T CARE, I STILL CAN'T STAND IT.

* Catsup. Ketchup. Any and all of it. It is gross and why must all people insist on grossing up food with it? Especially little kids who manage to gross up their food, hands, clothes, hair, and the entire backseat of the car with it. All food is better without catsup. There. I said it.

* YouTube comments. Who are these people who go from video to video writing uncreative insulting things? Do they not have any other obligations? I bet they do. I bet they have a whole pile of dishes in the sink that are crusting over and attracting cockroaches all just because they're too busy telling the world that somebody's cute video of their cat is stupid. Go do your dishes! RIGHT NOW!

* Most restaurant food. Most restaurant food is not that good and way overpriced. And oversalted. And makes me sad.

* Hoochie clothes. On women and girls everywhere. And everything in the stores. And everything everybody wears on TV and in movies. Elegance is dead. The hoochies have won. I feel like I'm in the end part of a zombie movie where nearly everybody is dead and there's one fully-clothed, uninfected person left, holed up in her house, while the shuffling, hoochie-clad hoards close in on her.

* (Along the same lines) Cussing. Holy mackerel, the cussing. I know I sound old and crotchety here so I won't belabor this point, but, seriously, am I the only one who notices this anymore? Not just in movies and TV, but every single person walking down the sidewalk happily cussing away into their Bluetooth headset like a Tourettes patient? And if you haven't noticed it, try taking a walk with a 2 1/2 year old who is a vocabulary sponge and see if it doesn't perk up your ears.

Grrr! Okay. Got that out of my system. For now. Is there anything YOU can't stand?

Comments

Cunningham Blog said…
I cannot stand bossy kids. I hate it when 11:00 rolls around and I am still not dressed because I have been waiting on them all morning. Grrrrrr....
Anonymous said…
* Can't stand air conditioning/heating in the house (I'm supposed to call it heating if it's supposed to blow warm air, right?). Why, dear builders of houses, did not anyone ever try central heating (as standard setting for small town houses purchased at a very good price)???

* Can't stand it when parents pay me a ton of money to tutor their kids, and the kids don't even bother to even try to do their homework on their own. I don't wanna be a paid homework machine!
Jen said…
*Nothing annoys me more than people who talk on their cell phones on the bus. I don't want to hear about your day, your dinner plans, your on-going break-up, or anything (ewww) medical that should be PRIVATE.

*Also can't stand those who still write checks in the grocery stores. The debit card is the same thing, and quicker! And somehow, these are always the same people who seems surprised when the final tally is announced to them, as in: "Pay! For the groceries! Why, that never occurred to me! Just let me find my checkbook...."
*Irate Stare from Jen*
Lisa said…
Jenny, there's always this:

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

Not particularly legal, but I love the idea of being able to click a button and get a bus-full of "Hello? Hello? Are you still there?"
Lisa said…
Alecia, is there any other kid of kid besides bossy kids? They are the centers of their own little kid universes and we are only staff.
Jen said…
My February grocery total - $220. 84. Curses!

BTW, are you going to be in lovely, broiling Vegas for James's wedding? We just booked our flight.
Lisa said…
Jen, but at no point in the past month has my grocery bill included ingredients for cassoulet.

Yes, we're planning on it. I'd describe it as less of a broil and more of high-intensity dehydration. We haven't actually got tickets yet. Tom is still laying odds.
Jen said…
I don't know what it says about me that I had everything I needed for the cassoulet in my freezer. For 25 people, no less.

Well, we are booked. I'm getting in Friday morning, Red is driving in from LA. We are staying until Monday, then back to LA for a week.

I'm not a fan of Vegas AT ALL. But I found a killer restaurant for Sunday night, so I'm happy.
Jamie said…
i hate ketchup and hoochiness, too. but i have become a bit of a damn-n-hell cusser...which issad because heidi is like a parrot.

ketchup really does suck. salsa and thai sweet chili sauce kick ketchup's nasty butt.
Leslie said…
ok, I've only been trolling your blog for a minute, but I'm loving your ornery posts... :)
Deb said…
I realize this is an ancient post, but I'm just now reading it and like it, so I'm commenting. I hope people commenting on old posts isn't in your pet peeve list.

*Nationalist/regional assumptions-- meaning "This is how it's done in my corner of the world, therefore it was our idea first, and should be therefore implemented everywhere else."

i.e.
-The Chinese I've met in the US and in China think it's inefficient not to utilize the tiniest space and therefore Americans need to be pushed and shoved to quickly utilize empty rooms.
-Most Americans think everyone should speak English, even in their respective countries. Not just little kids, but teens, often ask my husband why he talks funny. Apparently, any language but English is "weird".
-I have yet to meet a Hispanic woman who has not expressed disappointment at my baby's non-pierced ears and shock at my own hole-free lobes.
-Brasilians think I and other Spanish-speakers understand them, even though they don't understand Spanish. Apparently Portuguese is really the gift of tongues.
-Over and over somewhat older Hispanics insist on explaining hometown rituals to me that exist, not only in the USA, but all over the world. These supposed 'native things' have included: lullaby's, homemade bread, graduation ceremonies, fruit stands, basic etiquette and basket-making. I've heard Mom make the same mistake in reverse with my in-laws.

Ok. Done venting :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein