Lisa's favorite kid books

Lisa writes: I'm the oldest of five kids. Lori is close to my age, but Christi is 6 years younger, Donny is 10 years younger than I am and Debbie is just shy of 16 years younger. I read books to them, and their favorite books, I read over and over.

Christi's favorite book growing up was "Dooly and the Snortsnoot" by Jack Kent. Classic 1972 watercolor. It is long out of print, but is worth picking up if you ever see it in a used book store or online. It teaches a good lesson about self-worth and hidden potential and the importance of eating your vegetables, and it has the snarliest snortsnoot in literary history.


Donny's favorite book was Dr. Suess' "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." I can still recite it, and I still want one of those pets with the blue hair to brush and comb.



Debbie's favorite book was whatever the bigger kids were reading, but, barring that, she was partial to a padded plastic bathtub book called "My Little Pony's Undersea Adventure." I think it had six pages.

Myself, I was a Chronicles of Narnia kid. Every book, over and over, except "The Last Battle" which I could only occasionally psyche myself up to read.



What about you and your kids?

Comments

Lin said…
i read the narnia books quite often...probably at least once a year and some of them a couple of times. they are really the only books (outside of scriptures of course) that i can read over and over again and still enjoy.

where did you find those covers? i would love to hunt down a nice looking set.
Lisa said…
Those are the original first edition covers from the Wikipedia article. Fair use, I hope.

The early 80s copies I feel in love with had different covers that I can't find anywhere.
Lin said…
I had these http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_s6fUau_2za0/R4p7l8Pbn5I/AAAAAAAAAG8/3BLt47WiHfg/s320/The-Lion-Witch-Ward.jpg

but I'm not sure I still have all of them - they were purchased second hand and, like I said, well read by me so the one I still have left is kind of falling apart. haha. will have to do some searching to fulfill my book cover snobbery. :)
Lois said…
I remember loving books that my mom had read as a girl in the 1940's. The only title that comes to mind from that category was Ocean-Born Mary. I also remember reading Lois Lenski books, the Bobbsey Twins, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and lots of other realistic fiction.
Jen said…
As a kiddie, "Bread and Jam for Francis", and "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble". I still have them both.

Then I was an Anne of Green Gables gal, all the way. I think my heart is still with Francis, though. The description of her lunch after she learns to like food cheers me up to this day.
kimbo said…
Great post! I'm always at a loss as to what books to get for my kids. You got Caden a Little Critter collection book and he loves it... totally falling apart already! Just this week we checked out Hansel and Gretel from the library. When I started reading it to the kids, I thought they might get a little freaked out by the mean stepmother and witch. I forgot (or never realized) how freaky kids books can be.
Jamie said…
Lisa, I think I know the Narnia books you mean--the boxed set that was white with bold black titles and paintings on the covers?

Addie is doing a "Frog & Toad" unit at school, and we are reading Little House at home (you know, to psych her up for roughing it in the coming breakdown of society). We've also read a few Roald Dahl books together, we love the "Miss Nelson/ Viola Swamp" series, and all three kids LOVE to rhyme with our Dr. Seuss collection and our Eric Carle books. I am still a sucker for classic Little Goldens and recently acquired my pre-school fave, "Little Mommy," which I now realize was my mom's greatest brainwashing tool (along with that "When We're Helping, We're Happy" song they taught us in Primary!!!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein