Tom's favorite kid books

Lisa writes: Tom says he was all about the Richard Scarry books for a while. I read a quote from Scarry once where he said he wrote books that were meant to be dog-eared and held together with tape. That's the sign of a good kid's book.

We liked Richard Scarry books at our house, too. I very vividly remember this one to the right. That chair is DOOMED.

Tom says he liked Roald Dahl's "James and the Giant Peach" for a while. I remember in third grade, the teacher had the smartest boy in the class read a chapter from this book out loud to us every day after lunch as a reward for being good. I thought that boy was awesome for getting such a spectacular privilege, but I also secretly thought I could have read it out loud better than he did.

As little kids, and even older, Tom says they read a lot of Beatrix Potter. It's interesting to watch the evolution of children's books. Those sweet old bunny books are quite scary and occasionally gruesome.


Right, Tom Kitten?

Comments

Tamary said…
I never read Beatrix Potter as a child (except Peter Rabbit, I think), but after our oldest was born someone gave us a Beatrix Potter collection and we were hooked. Our favorites are Tom Kitten (those rotten kids!) and Mrs. Tittlemouse (anyone who's tried to clean house with people underfoot can relate to this one).
Jamie said…
I, too, received the boxed set of B. Potter books when Addie was born and I simply CANNOT read them w/o a British accent. They are so funny.

My kids love Scarry books, too (searching for the gold bug) and we just got a Scarry DVD called "Huckle"--big hit around here.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein