Where in the world are Lisa's parents: The Rose Parade

Lisa's mom writes: We enjoyed watching the Rose Parade floats being created two days before the float. The warehouses are owned by "Phoenix" who, we were told, only employ 30 people. The thousands of other helpers are volunteers. You must be in the community where the float is from to have the privilege to help decorate. We were impressed how dedicated the helpers were -- even putting their lives on line climbing out on scaffolding with no safety lines. What a beautiful reward to be surrounded by millions of the most beautiful flowers. It was so fun to see the completed float pass by us. I only had my iPhone and the trees did not allow for perfect pictures. "You had to be there." But I wanted to share. (Click pictures to enlarge.)
Roy and I walked above the floats.
The parade floats completed...
Our seat's address (got in the photo).
Mexico gave us dance and singing and beautiful horses and lovely costumes too.
This was special after we had visited the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley.
Another fun float we watched being created.


UNO card game celebrated with a float entry -- 40th anniversary.
And Pac Man celebrated their 30th anniversay. (Lisa note: Since when does Pac Man have a nose? And hands and feet? And articulated eyebrows? What's up with that?)
The last one I will share is for Madison. It was amazing. Every square inch of the exposed surface of a float entered in the Rose Parade strictly must be covered with flowers or other natural materials such as decorative bark, seeds, and leaves.

Our tour continued with lunch at LA's Farmers Market, which started in 1934 in the empty field next to this original gas station. Roy remembered delivering groceries in Beverly Hills as a teenager. We could not even drive into the neighborhood now because of a law forbidding buses.

I stood next to a period truck of the 30's.
I love standing by Birds of Paradise and other flowers.
On the first day of January 2011, we left to drive to Huntington Beach. Donny gave us his bed again (softer than any of the hotel rooms). He took us to T.G.I.Friday's (our treat). It is going to be too quiet tomorrow at home. Even with days of cold and rain (the most of any December in history) it has been a joy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for taking the time to do this. It was a fun moment and I wanted it shared. Love, Mom

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein