James is 19 weeks old

Lisa writes: James has some new tricks this week. His "bad" trick is that he has started waking up lots and lots of times during the night again. We were down to just once or twice, and now we're back up to 8 or I've-lost-count some nights. Growth spurt? Hunger? Military-industrial conspiracy to test the effects of sleep deprivation on parents? Who knows.

His better tricks are that he has discovered his feet, he can reach out and deliberately grab objects within his grasp (toys=good, sunglasses off of my face=less good), and he can manipulate objects to almost get them where he wants them (usually into his mouth). He has developed very distinct and recognizably different cries for tiredness vs. hunger, for which I am grateful. He will tolerate many minutes of tummy time at a stretch. He can stand up under his own power if you hold his hands, and he can sit up with some minor bracing. He chortled -- like, full-on belly laughed -- ONCE for Christi at church. She got it on video. I have never heard him do it in person and I can't get him to do it again. Christi will just have to come back to visit. He SQUEALS regularly, usually in delight, sometimes in frustration. It's cute. It's loud. Try not to have his head right next to your ear when he does it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein