The rains begin

 It started raining this week,


I think I've mentioned this before, but Mérida and most of the peninsula are a flat flat flat limestone plain. The water can't run off anywhere so the storm drains are really just wells with permeable walls. The water goes down, filters through the limestone, and eventually goes into the cenotes and out to sea. But the rain comes down fast and filters out slow, so the whole place looks like this:


Tom usually shouts "Amphibious mode!" right before we drive into a section like this. So far, it's worked.

We had a play date with James' friend, Santi, on Tuesday. First stop was Dunkin Donuts. Or, as it appears on the menu here, "Donas."



On Wednesday, the boys played in a videogame tournament with the church youth group. Joseph made it to the final round and came in 2nd place. His prize was a bag of chips. :)



I often see this guy on my way to Spanish classes downtown. Take a good look at this rig. He's taken apart a motorcycle. He has the motor pushing the bike at his side, he has the front wheel and handlebars in front of him, he's got a handle to his right that is somehow controlling the gears. Who knows where the brakes are. And the most impressive thing is, he's in a wheelchair.


Schools have the last Friday off for teacher training, so I signed the boys up for a cooking class. They made cinnamon rolls and sushi.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein