Dreams and questions

Tom writes: This is the kind of thing that bosses don't like to hear about. Sound interesting? For the past years I have nurtured a dream of studying acupunture and setting up shop somewhere. Despite its image, acupuncture can be more than just needles - it can help people address how their mind, body, and spirit are interconnected. And there is something about watching people become engaged with the question about who they are that fascinates me. But there are a couple of nagging questions, like how would I pay for going to school? Or more importantly, is this something I am passionate enough about to dedicate that much time and energy? I like my job right now; it has a reasonable degree of security and room for growth, but this dream keeps pulling at me. So what do I do with it?

My guess is that I am not the only person who has asked these kinds of questions. What have the rest of you done?

Comments

Anonymous said…
You never know until you try. After losing my job (one of the best things to happen!), I floundered around for months, not knowing what to do next. Quite by accident, I came across a program offering a college degree in playing with horses. I had been away from horses for almost 25 years, but as a child, they were my passion. I am happy to say that I am only a few weeks from graduation (with a second bachelor's degree), I am mentally and emotionally better than I have been in years, I have friends, I actually leave my house to do something other than work, and in January, I will have a job! (One of my professors offered it to me today!!!!) The job doesn't pay a lot, but it's got good benefits and it's a great experience. As for the sense of safety...sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. And sometimes it turns out really well! Good luck!
Holly said…
My question, unfortunately, is "who would pay to have needles stuck in their back?!"

But, really, even if I would never come visit your office, I would say, continue to look into it until the pathway either opens up to you, or comes to a screeching halt. You never know where the path may lead, unless you start along it.
It's very interesting, I keep asking me the same question, it's always present in my mind, do I keep doing the job that pays all my bills and guarantees my financial future or do I go for a dream? Then another kind of hability comes up, besides the reason we have faith and that's something we don't understand very well, because we usually separate then, however if we trully believe our dream is something we will be able to do very well, I'm sure it'll provide us some money for us to live. And in this point faith helps reason and reason helps faith... As you know I'm going after a dream right now, studying to be a diplomat, it's very difficult because I have to invest time and money on it, sometimes I feel like I've been pulled down, then I remember the reason that made me make that decision then I focus again and keep going... Then, I think the most important thing in the end, is not what you do, but Why you're doing that...
Homewiththekids said…
Accupuncture is amazing. They don't stick needles in your back necessarily. My accupuncturist puts them on my forhead, ears, hands, fingers and on my legs. Seriously, I'm not one to be trying alternative medicines, but I have felt an amazing change in my body. And yes, I am a needle phobe! I just take lots of deep breaths and after the needles are placed I'm so relaxed, I usually sleep like a baby. Love, Me
Jamie said…
Acupuncture is cool. For me, it's LAW SCHOOL...I have dreams where I am partners with Atticus Finch or I bust copyright infringers, and I do read Oliver Wendell Holmes books in my free time. I pretend to be a normal soccer mom, but I am nerdy to the core. My questions are, will I have money , energy, or motivation after I'm done raising these chillun? And then I think, probably the Mayans were right--I don't make plans after 2012.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein