Captive audience

Lisa writes: Last night I went to my first bookclub meeting. I do read books, but I've never been to a bookclub meeting because they never read the kinds of books I read. [Warning: Sweeping generalization approaching!] Bookclubs read sad, Oprah-books about neglected and abused children, and then everybody dies at the end. I do not like these kinds of books. I avoid these kinds of books, hard. But I went to the bookclub last night (despite not reading or even wanting to read the book) because the book was set in the Dominican Republic. Which is where I served my mission 15 [gasp! choke!] years ago. And I have pictures. Oh yes, I have pictures. And they sat there, those bookclub attendees, and they looked at all my pictures and they asked questions about them and I got to talk and talk and I was so very, very happy.

For our next meeting, I think I'm going suggest something set in Korea. Because, you see, I have pictures....

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was in a short-lived neighborhood book club once and, although I did enjoy reading the selected books, I much preferred chitchatting with my neighbors to discussing the books. Much more fun!
Anonymous said…
I was in a short-lived neighborhood book club once and, although I did enjoy reading the selected books, I much preferred chitchatting with my neighbors to discussing the books. Much more fun!

4:22 PM
Anonymous said…
I, too, avoid the book clubs, because of the depressing nature of many of the selections. I would imagine it would be difficult to have intelligent conversations about the mindless books have a tendency to read ("Star Trek" anyone?) Although, I finished "Atonement" a few weeks ago.....WOW! Definitely a book club kind of book.

My sister is in a bookclub. She and her fellow clubbers do the chit-chat thing...a LOT!

You should suggest a book that takes place in Hawaii...because you have pictures! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein