Prepared

Lisa writes: Our grass is growing. The mirror is hanging. All is well with the world.

We had a busy, social weekend (by our own standards, anyway). On Friday we had dinner with Foreign Service friends who are headed off to Vietnam. The only thing I know about moving to Vietnam now is, before you go, you should buy a lot lot lot of stuff at Costco first. I also learned how to say the very complimentary phrase "You are cheap" in Vietnamese and I learned that ours isn't the only house with a non-standard doorknob. The F.S. friends are doing some renovating before they leave and it involved switching out the locks. Unfortunately, you can't just waltz down to Home Depot for these locks and so until they figure out the magic source of the weird doorknobs, they'll be exiting the house through the backyard.

On Saturday, we put on our paranoia hats and went down to the Stake Preparedness Fair. There we learned about food and water storage, First Aid, and that FEMA publishes a coloring book (we picked up several). Tom got to play on the fire engine and the ambulance. I learned how to make dessert with a box of brownie mix and a can of black beans.

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Food Storage Bean Brownies
1 box brownie mix
1 can of black beans with liquid
Puree beans in blender. Stir into brownie mix. Don't add eggs or oil or anything else. Bake according to mix instructions. Serve to friends. When complimented, simply smile and nod.

I learned that you should store your water in #1-type plastic containers and specifically avoid #7-type plastic. I learned you should rotate this water supply every six months. I also learned we don't have to add any additional chlorine to the water when storing it because our county already has so much. Yum.

I learned that they redid the CPR rules and now instead of the 30 compressions/2 breaths system, they just want you to compress, compress, compress. I also learned that you are guaranteed to break ribs when doing it properly. Ugh.

We came home with a renewed sense of wanting to get our food storage and emergency plan in order. And then we ate ice cream.

Addendum 5/15/08: A black bean brownie recipe was just featured on the excellent blog 101 Cookbooks.

Comments

Jen said…
Those brownies sound heinous. If we are all hellbound in a handbasket, why torture us further with substandard baked goods?

And what does "level" means when it comes to plastic?

I'm clearly ill prepared.
kimbo said…
I'm tempted to make those brownies just to see what they taste like. Did you get to try any? Thanks for the reminder on preparedness. Sounds like Tom had fun!
Lisa said…
Yes, I ate the brownies and they were surprisingly good. They were very dense. Seriously, bake some up and leave them in the break room at work and watch them disappear.

Jen, the different types of plastic are indicated by a number on the bottom of the contain. Up until now, I'd only checked it because our trash removal only accepts types 1 & 2 for recycling. But apparently there are a zillion kinds and some of them aren't food grade and will leech chemicals into the water. (Naturally, you also don't want to store drinking water in a food-grade container that was previously used to store chemicals, either.)
Heidi Totten said…
We made the brownies tonight with a ghiradelli mix in order to make sure we were using a high quality brownie mix. Our consensus was that they were ok, but we like the real stuff better. I think the beans cut the sweetness. However, if I had to live on food storage and wanted chocolate - I'd be all over it.
Lisa said…
Yay! Heidi rules! You are a brave, brave woman.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein