Homemade oat crackers
My mom always saved the scraps from pie crusts and baked them on a cookie sheet with cinnamon and sugar. This is very close to the same effect, but oaty and without the sugar. I made these a week ago and left them unguarded to cool on the countertop for about an hour in the evening. When I went to put them away, they were gone. Tom had eaten them ALL. That's Tom's ultimate seal of approval.
I didn't use any bowls: I mixed everything up in the food processor. Next time I try it, I'm going to use olive oil instead of butter. I'll let you now how they turn out, if Tom leaves me any.
Peppered Rosemary Oat Crackers
(lifted wholesale from foodnetwork.com)
Ingredients
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt (I used 1/2 teaspoon & salted butter)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I'd recommend less if you're planning to feed these to kids)
1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary leaves (I used dried rosemary.)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits (I used salted, 'coz that's what I had onhand, and why bother cutting it into bits when you're about to chuck it into a food processor?)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the oats into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add flour, salt, pepper, rosemary, baking powder, and butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and pulse until a dough forms about 15 seconds. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick (about a 13-inch round) and cut out about 60 square oatcakes. Arrange oatcakes on baking sheets 1-inch apart and bake in middle of oven 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly brown on the bottom. Transfer oatcakes to a rack and cool completely.
I didn't use any bowls: I mixed everything up in the food processor. Next time I try it, I'm going to use olive oil instead of butter. I'll let you now how they turn out, if Tom leaves me any.
Peppered Rosemary Oat Crackers
(lifted wholesale from foodnetwork.com)
Ingredients
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt (I used 1/2 teaspoon & salted butter)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I'd recommend less if you're planning to feed these to kids)
1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary leaves (I used dried rosemary.)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits (I used salted, 'coz that's what I had onhand, and why bother cutting it into bits when you're about to chuck it into a food processor?)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the oats into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add flour, salt, pepper, rosemary, baking powder, and butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and pulse until a dough forms about 15 seconds. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick (about a 13-inch round) and cut out about 60 square oatcakes. Arrange oatcakes on baking sheets 1-inch apart and bake in middle of oven 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly brown on the bottom. Transfer oatcakes to a rack and cool completely.
Comments