Insert your own punchline [here]

Lisa writes: Tomorrow is our 3rd anniversary. I just looked up traditional anniversary gifts and found this:
Since this tradition comes from medieval Germany, I'm assuming "leather" means something like ... a new saddle? Shoes? A nice wallet? I don't know, but I'm sure it was something very, very innocent.

By the way, did you know in the United States, one can receive a greeting from the President for any wedding anniversary on or after the 50th? In the U.K., you can get a message from the Queen starting at your 60th.

Comments

Erin said…
So does that mean the Brits have longer marriages than we do and thus can only afford to start giving greetings after the 60th (because less will be around by then)? Or is it some other esoteric reason.

I think it means leather chaps or something equally innocent.
Tamary said…
Happy anniversary! Leather does seem like a strange gift material. I suppose you could ask for some really nice leather-bound books.
Lisa said…
Erin, I'm guessing there were too many people making it to 50 years and they decided to thin the herd by raising it to 60? The Queen is busy, you know.
Anonymous said…
Leather is an awesome gift, especially if you are an equestrian, or a literary geek. I could get a new saddle, bridle, tall boots, paddock boots, half chaps, gloves, leather bound literary classics and writing journals. Hmmm.... That may just make it worth getting married!

(Happy Anniversary!) :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein