The continuing, CONTINUING adventures of Hopalong

Lisa writes: We did Valentine's dinner early (Thursday night) because today Tom had knee surgery. I'm having deja vu. Almost exactly two years ago, we were at the same place, doing the same thing, with nearly all the same staff. They remembered him. It's not good when all of the staff at the surgery center recognize you on sight.

I think things went a little bit easier this time around. See how happy he looks, pre-op?

Now go look at the pics from two years ago. Better, right?

This is the patch they put behind his ear to prevent nausea. I probably could have used one too while Dr. Pettrone was describing what they'd be doing to his knee.



THIS knee, not the other one. (That's what the purple dot is for. After the doctor walked away, I embellished it with legs and antennae. Just to give the kids a fun surprise in the operating room.)



The rule is "no metal in the operating room." (Not the music; the mineral.) So Tom gave me his ring and we stopped by Mordor on the way home to take care of it.


Post-op. Definitely, definitely an improvement over last time.


Comments

Holly said…
I'm wishing Tom a speedy recovery (which, noting his happy state, I am sure he will have--nothing helps cure things faster like a positive attitude.) I am laughing at the idea of my husband, the surgeon, lifting up the drape to see a purple alien drawn on the operating knee. TOO FUNNY! And, I think Tom's ring looks good on you--maybe you could start a new fashion trend. .
Anonymous said…
Cat like, I hardly recognize you. I relate. Once in the hospital for a dusting and cleaning they gave me a shot of ... don't ever want to know. It was sublime. I understood addiction - wanting more. They still tell stories about the blonde with a perfect Mexican accent who knew all kinds a words, stories, songs...! Glad you're up and about. Mwah (big kiss and hug from the Blue Star bunch).
Lois said…
Was this surgery stage two of the last surgery or was it due to another injury?
How's the patient recovering?
Lisa said…
Lois, same surgery, different knee. Two years ago, he tore the ACL in his right knee skiing in Colorado. This time, he tore the same ligament in his left knee practicing a throw in his martial arts class ("san-so" is the type of martial art ... sort of a kick-boxing type of thing). He was practicing with a less-experienced partner who tried to throw him.

Recovery is going well. We had his first follow-up appointment today and he is cleared to drive and go back to work when he feels like it. He's still on the continuous passive motion machine most of the day, and starts physical therapy next week. Still on crutches and heavy brace for a while.
Chrissy said…
Hope Hopalong is doing well!

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein