It's the Baltimore Colts, right?

Lisa writes: LDS services were cancelled today due to snow, but Mass is always on. The priest lives at the Parrish so it's not like he has far to commute. Tom and I walked to Mass then rounded up a little bunch of neighborhood Mormons to have mini-church at one family's house. It was a sweet little meeting. We had a heady rush of euphoria when it came to the part of the meeting where the Bishop usually makes announcements, and we realized we could announce anything we wanted. Anything! Drive-in Sacrament meeting! Free buckets of hard red wheat to the first 10 people to sign up for the ward talent show! Outsourcing Primary to India! But we got over it.

After church(es), we finished clearing the driveway. We made an 18" wide path yesterday that just about killed us, but today, with a burst of energy fueled by dozens of oatmeal cookies, we got the rest of it done. When I say "we" I mostly mean "Tom." But I helped. I made the cookies. (I'm kidding! I shoveled, too. Some.)

The most satisfying part of snow days has been getting to actually see and meet our neighbors. We've had a bunch of new people move in since last summer and there are some we hadn't even met yet. We went over to say hi to the new couple right next door and got invited to watch the Super Bowl at their house tonight. Not sure if that's a totally kosher Sabbath activity but, hey, it's a sacrifice we're willing to make for the sake of neighborliness. And then we ran home and Googled who was playing.

Comments

Lois said…
I didn't know who was playing, either, until the church organist played "When the Saints Come Marching In" at the end of Mass yesterday. You weren't alone in your ignorance!
Erin said…
I'm the same way about the Super Bowl--I had to learn who was playing, too. :-)
Grandma Joyce said…
When we were living in Alexandria, in the late 70's, they had another big snow storm like the one you just had. My favorite story about that storm was when the apartment manager called and wanted to know if Uncle Tim could deliver a baby for a lady who was in labor. No one could get out or in so they didn't know what to do. Tim was willing but it turned out to be false labor. I guess word had gotten out that Tim had delivered your cousin Kim :)
Lisa said…
Lois and Erin, Ha! It's good to know we're not alone.

Aunt Joyce, Boy, that would have been a good story for Uncle Tim to tell. He might have been able to convince them to name the baby after him! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein