Be true to your teeth and they won't be false to you, and other corny words of wisdom from the dental chair

Lisa writes: I am in Colorado Springs for two weeks while Tom lanquishes at home without me. I like to imagine he's languishing; I sort of suspect he's actually fine -- going to work, going to the gym, renting Netflix movies that I would refuse to watch because I knew they were sad. (I don't do sad movies.)

Meanwhile, I'm cleaning teeth. Lots and lots of teeth. I think cleaning teeth is fascinating and I could talk about it all day. I really could! And I DO! But what I've learned from the glazed expressions on too many faces is that, somehow, the rest of the world doesn't find this as fascinating as I do, so I will spare you further details. Except these:

  • Today, there was one 6 year old who has such a sensitive gag reflex that he vomits when he brushes his teeth. I cleaned his teeth very carefully.

  • There was a 17 year old girl with pierced CHEEKS. Like, studs, going THROUGH her cheek muscles into her mouth. When I made her take out the studs for an x-ray, she sadly set them on the counter and said, "My babies."

  • A feral kid accidentally knocked all the tiny little drill bits onto the floor and they all had to be resterilized.

  • I gave a 2 year old who had just refused to let me clean his teeth a balloon animal and asked if we were buddies now. He said, "No."

Comments

Holly said…
I find your work very interesting (But I love observing people and their stories). Steve and his mom both gag incessantly while brushing their teeth--I have to leave the room when they do this, because I am a sympathetic gagger. . . And I think it is a sad world where cheek piercings are so adored as to be compared to offspring! Have fun. Wish Boise were closer to Colorado and I then I'd come visit. . .

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein