Spike the Fourth
Lisa writes: Spike the Third died last week. He might have gotten squeezed a little bit during a playdate with a friend while I was out of the room. James isn't exactly confessing, but he did say, "I didn't know what Spike felt like." We talked about how fish have a slime layer on their skin to protect them from germs, and if you touch them, it wipes off the slime layer and they can get sick and die. And we talked about how, next time, James will be the protector of the fish. He announces this now, "I AM THE FISH PROTECTOR. NOBODY TOUCH SPIKE!" so I'm hopeful Spike the Fourth may have a longer life.
Meanwhile, last night, James asked if Spike would lay eggs. I said no, he has to have a girlfriend to lay eggs. He asked, if we put a girl in Spike's tank, would Spike fight her? (We've talked about how bettas live alone because they fight each other.) I said I didn't know, he'd have to ask Spike. So he put his face down close to the top of the water and shouted into the tank. "Spike! Will you fight with your girlfriend?"
"What did Spike say?"
"He said, 'Yes.'"
(Note: I got this picture off the internet, but it looks exactly like Spike the Fourth. Also, amusingly, James never just calls him Spike. He always says Spike the Fourth.)
8/21/2018 EDIT: R.I.P. Spike the Fourth. Not sure what happened, but when we came home today, he was on the bottom of his bowl. I helped James to fish him out and flush him with the appropriate ceremonies.
Meanwhile, last night, James asked if Spike would lay eggs. I said no, he has to have a girlfriend to lay eggs. He asked, if we put a girl in Spike's tank, would Spike fight her? (We've talked about how bettas live alone because they fight each other.) I said I didn't know, he'd have to ask Spike. So he put his face down close to the top of the water and shouted into the tank. "Spike! Will you fight with your girlfriend?"
"What did Spike say?"
"He said, 'Yes.'"
(Note: I got this picture off the internet, but it looks exactly like Spike the Fourth. Also, amusingly, James never just calls him Spike. He always says Spike the Fourth.)
8/21/2018 EDIT: R.I.P. Spike the Fourth. Not sure what happened, but when we came home today, he was on the bottom of his bowl. I helped James to fish him out and flush him with the appropriate ceremonies.

Comments