Defile de Catrinas / Parade of the Catrinas

There's a long, sort of socio-political explanation of what Catrinas are and you can read all about it here if you are so inclined, but the word basically translates to "fancy-pants skeleton" and connotes to something like "death comes for us all, regardless of social status. And Mexicans love them, so the Andersons and about 60,000 of our friends attended the Parade of the Catrinas downtown last night. 

It started an hour late and James spent nearly the whole time waiting in line for a marquesita. I am happy to report he finally got one.

I didn't take any good pictures of the parade, so I'm borrowing images from the internet.

This is a marquesita. Basically a waffle cone filled with Nutella and fruit (good) or Nutella and shredded parmesan cheese (not good, but fiercely defended by the locals.)


Insert a million parade pictures below:














And here are some pictures I took of parade participants in the park afterwards:







Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow!

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein