
Lisa writes: I pass the Mustafa Center every morning on the way to work. It is a miniature Muslim worship center (mosque? church? shrine? temple?) about the size of a Pizza Hut, but with beautiful little white, curling columns and turrets and a robins-egg-blue blue tiled dome. It's right next door to a Starbucks. Today, the traffic was slow because a service was letting out at 8:30 a.m. A big worship service had just finished, and men in long shirts and vests and baggy pants, and women with scarves loosely wrapped around their heads were all coming out, many of them having to cross the street to get to where their cars were parked. I googled the occasion when I got to work: "Tomorrow is Eid-Ul Fitr. Also known as Seker Bayram or Ramazan Bayram, it marks the end of Ramadan, the month of fasting. It is a day of thanksgiving." This is the last day of the fast -- tomorrow, all of the Muslims you know will be fat and happy and much less irritiable by lunchtime.
Comments