Appeals primarily to people who like granola

Lisa writes: So, the end of the world is coming and you're hunkered down in your basement with your food storage, 50 gallons of water, a couple of Sternos, and hopefully some good books. What exactly were you planning to do with all that canned wheat and beans?

We like to play "paranoid survivalist" once in a while and so far I've come up with one good food storage recipe. It's better than it sounds. Trust me.

Red Lentil Soup

8 cups bouillon (8 cups water + 8 teaspoons bouillon powder)
2 cups red lentils (can also use regular)
1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1 teaspoon powdered onion
1 teaspoon curry or cumin
1 14 oz. can of tomatoes (sauce, stewed, crushed, whatever)

Boil it all up for 25 minutes. If you're not completely off the grid by this point, run all or half of it through the blender. (Be careful blending hot stuff! Do it in very small batches) Serve with lemon juice to squirt on it at the table.

Better than it has a right to be, really. But you deserve it, my apocalyptic friend.

Comments

Holly said…
Lisa--
It sounds great, I'll have to try it. We love food storage recipes!

Now, to go with it, here is a whole wheat bread, full of food storage supplies:

3T yeast
5 cups of warm water
(let rise)
2T salt
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup oil
12 cups whole wheat flour

Mix together, Let rise in bowl until double. Roll out and divide in 4 loaves. Put in greased pans and let rise again. Bake 350 for 35 minutes.
Jen said…
Lisa-

I direct you to the website of my friend and neighbor, who recently spent 4 months in the North Pole living in a 1000 square foot grain silo with 6 other people.

As you will recall, she was pretending to live on Mars for scientific purposes, not crazy ones.

She was the primary cook, and was able to come up with fantastic uses for horrible dried things, but she had two secret weapons - duck fat and truffled salt.

http://mars-ho.blogspot.com/
Anonymous said…
William would love this. In fact, for his upcoming 9th birthday dinner he has requested Lentil Casserole!
Anonymous said…
I need a great recipe to us up all the beans I have in storage.

Love, Mom
Anonymous said…
Opps! "use up" - How do you redo your comments - I forgot to hit Preview.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein