The kid-proof Christmas tree

Lisa writes: I've heard two stories so far this year from friends whose little kids have tipped over the upright and fully-loaded Christmas tree. One kid was climbing the tree, the other was in the process of putting together a tight-wire act with one end of the string tied to the bannister and the other tied to the tree. (How is it that little kids can be SO CLEVER and SO DUMB at the same time?)

In the interest of parents everywhere, I thought I should share my parents' kid-proof tree strategy. It won't stop the kids from knocking off ornaments or eating pine needles, but at least they won't be able to take down the whole tree.

This all assumes you're getting a tree that is nearly as tall as your ceiling. You are, right? And it also assumes you're getting a "real" tree.

First, screw a hook into a ceiling stud. You can use it to hang a potted plant the rest of the year.
Then get a long length of pretty heavy duty wire from Ace Hardware (or anyplace else that sells wire, but I guarantee my dad's came from Ace Hardware). Almost as thick as a metal coat hanger wire. At least 4 or 5 feet long. Bend it in half, figure out how much you'll need between the top of the tree and ceiling hook, and then wind the rest of it around and around and around the top couple of feet of the tree. Be sure to loop it under a couple of branches.

Then hang it from the ceiling hook. Ta-dah!

Happy side effect? The tree is standing straight up and down. Naturally you'll need a tree topper that opens at the top. We had an elaborate angel/star kind of thing that pretty much completely covered the wire and hook.

What about water? Coffee Mate powdered coffee creamer used to come in tall, dark brown glass jars that were perfect for this. Just put some water in the jar, swing out the bottom of the tree, and slide the jar over the trunk. I just checked and Coffee Mate uses plastic containers now. Hmm, that's a problem. But I bet if you check your grandma's house, she's still got some of those jars.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When our kids were babies and toddlers we used to secure the tree to the wall with fishing line and a hook placed under the windowsill. It worked great.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein