Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Vanity, tile, and sink

Lisa writes: I read somewhere (maybe in "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell) about a company trying to sell jelly in grocery stores. When they offered shoppers samples of 20 kinds of jelly, shoppers bought less than when they were offered samples of just 4 or 5 kinds of jelly. The discovery was that although shoppers claim to want choice, when offered too many choices, they become overwhelmed and just run away.

Tom and I feel that way in toothpaste aisle all the time. Now imagine us trying to pick out cabinetry.

Vanity cabinet: Basically this, but with the flat-front, Shaker-style doors instead of the beadboard. (Shakers NEVER have to deal with this kind of decision-making.) Also, with drawers on both sides of the sink.


Doors for those lucky, lucky Shakers.


So, kinda like this. It's Kraftmaid because our contractor bullied us into it. The drawers slide like butter and the doors have pneumatic hinges. I can't think about how much it's going to cost or else I'll have to go lie down again.


Floor tile: Maybe this? Maybe black or blue "dots" in the center? ("Dot" is tiling lingo for little tile pieces, even if they're square.)

They look less swastiky when they're on the floor.

Or this? I'm torn. What do you think? Squares (above) or hexagonal (below)? And the hex comes in 2"x2" or 4"x4".


Wall tile: I'm thinking white 3"x6" subway tile on the walls, up to about chair-rail height in the room and up to the ceiling in the shower. One thought would be to do a pencil-sized piece of black (or blue) along the top of the tile to match the floor. Or maybe not.


Subway tile.


Sink: Ixnay on the anitegray, so that leaves us with synthetic marble or Corian. Our contractor votes for Corian. Here's what our sink WON'T look like:

This is a good example of that old axiom, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." We're thinking solid white counter and bowl with a backsplash. When time and decay and Nature and squirrels eventually take over this house, the only recognizable thing the archeologists will find amid the rubble will be this sink.

Comments

Heidi Totten said…
I would never do white because you can see everything on it. Just sayin'.

Popular posts from this blog

The Independence Month party continues

Our soul-destroying bathroom remodel in excruciating detail: Nearly done

"If I had known, I would have become a locksmith." Albert Einstein